FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
When is the best time to visit Mongolia?
- May to September is the best season, with the peak season in July for the Naadam Festival. July and August are also the wettest months of the year, but be assured; our climate is such that you will still have many sunny days at this time. The best time to visit the Gobi desert is June and September.
How do I get to Mongolia?
- All direct flights come into Ulaanbaatar – most of them from Beijing, Moscow, Seoul, Istanbul, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Berlin, Bangkok and Frankfurt. The Trans-Siberian train from Moscow or Beijing makes a particularly exhilarating entry into the country. There are domestic flights and trains from Ulaanbaatar to the rest of Mongolia. Many of the tours use a 4WD Japanese and Russian vehicle to transport you to your destination.
- If there is no Mongolian Embassy in your country, one month visas can be obtained on the spot once you arrive at the airport or railway station. There will also be a visa fee of $45US and we will supply an official confirmation letter (by email or post) for your visa application once you book a trip with us.
How safe is Mongolia for foreigners with regard to the crime situation?
- Mongolia is a relatively safe country for foreigners even though there have been big social changes in transition since the 1990's. Cities are mostly safe; however, as in other large cities, you may face some street crimes particularly in Ulaanbaatar and especially late at night. In the countryside, foreigners feel much safer because the nomadic people have more respect for travelers. In general Mongolian people are known for their nomadic hospitality and they will make you feel very welcome.
What is the accommodation like?
- If you are staying in Ulaanbaatar, you will be accommodated in a 3 to 5 star hotel. There are another option to place in hostel/guesthouse as well. During any trips around the country, you will be camping in tents and in traditional Mongolian Ger (yurt). All accommodation offered by MonTrails Tours is personally checked by our staff to ensure required standards.
What is tourist ger camp? Can I plug my electronic items in a ger?
- The tourist camps use traditional ger (national dwelling of Mongolia) for accommodation for 2-4 people. The Ger camps also have a separate washing block that contains western style flushing toilets in cubicles and shower rooms. There are also laundry, eating and shopping facilities and you can charge your camera batteries and plug other electronics in the camps also.
What should I bring with me?
- Warm thin layers of clothing, waterproof jacket, good walking boots, sandals, a hat and/or headscarf to protect you from the sun and winds. Don’t forget insect repellent, sun block cream, lip-gloss and first aid kit (medicine for headache, cold, diarrhea, runny nose; bandages; any medicine prescribed for you); all your camera equipment and binoculars, perhaps some snacks to eat between meal times.
How’s the food?
- Mutton, beef, vegetables, rice and noodles form the basis of the Mongolian diet, so your meals will be based around this. However, the trail rations may include vegetables, eggs, cheese and BBQ! Tourist camps provide western style meals. Please let us know in advance if you are a vegetarian.
Do I need vaccinations and how is the water safe to drink?
- Make sure you are up-to-date on routine vaccines before every trip. These vaccines include measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis vaccine, varicella (chickenpox) vaccine, polio vaccine, and your yearly flu shot. The tap water in the cities is not safe to drink, but mineral water is recommended. We will supply you with mineral water during your trip.
Where can I exchange money? What currency is most used?
- US Dollars are most used foreign currency and accepted in many places, especially in Ulaanbaatar, but it is also useful to carry some cash in the local currency, the Tugrik. 1US$=2450 Tugrik (Oct. 2017). Any bank in Mongolia will exchange your currency, as will most of the hotels you'll stay in. But better rate is on Foreign Currency Exchange places and you can ask our guides.
- Travel insurance is compulsory for MonTrails Tours travelers and should be taken out at the time of booking. We recommend that our tour participants purchase a standard travel insurance policy that covers you for unexpected events that could cause you to cancel or interrupt your vacation, unexpected delays, medical assistance, loss of or damage to baggage.
How many people will be with me on the tour?
- On all of our scheduled group tours, the number varies from one group to another. However, we keep our groups small with an average size group of 4-12 people.
Do you organize private tours?
- We offer tailor-made tours to individuals, families, and small groups. Our private tours include a wide range of activities from cultural explorations to exhilarating outdoor adventures (Altai Mountain Trekking, Horse and camel riding, Fishing, Gobi desert safary and many more).
What would be the extra cost for customizing this trip?
- We are able to organize any of our scheduled trips privately for more than 2 people as private if tour date doesn’t meet your schedule or you want to travel with your family or friends. There will be no extra cost for customizing your trip..
What other nationalities will be on the tour with me?
- MonTrails Tours sells its scheduled group tours in more than 8 countries around the world. Therefore quite typical to expect between 2-4 different nationalities on any tour, i.e., (American, British, Belgian, Swiss, Australian, German, Russian, Hong Kong, Singapore and etc.) Most of the time, our travelers enjoy that experience and end up building ties with other people from the tour that can last for a lifetime.
Do you recommend early arrival?
- Yes, early arrival might be recommended if your flights take long time or due to time differences between our countries. In this case, we can book you hotel room at discounted rate.
Why should I choose MonTrails Tours?
- MonTrails Tours is committed to providing high quality, flexible and well-designed travel products and services to meet the needs of our clients. We work hard to ensure that your memories of Mongolia will be treasure for a lifetime.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Book this trip or customize to fit your needsBOOKING FORM